August 14, 2009
Many thanks to:
- Alison Rathborne for painting and equipment.
- Kate Sage for paint detailing and sanity check.
- Peter Gillett & Alma Roussy for show advice.
- Kim Breland for catering.
- Luke Mattar of Photon Studio for photography.
- Mark Probst for MathMap, used to generate most of my fractal images.
Tom Rathborne - firstname.lastname@example.org
... and everyone who attended!
This page lays out better if your browser is full-screen.
Click on any image for a larger version!
- Diamond Dorje
2005 - 24" square Chromira print of an artifact of computation.
The horse and rider from Eadweard Muybridge's movie race down the level sets of the Mandelbrot set, followed by Julia edges. The interior of the Mandelbrot set contains a Julia set resembling a Dorje. The image hangs as a Prayer flag.
- Welcome back
2009 - artifact of computation, displayed across 3 LCD monitors.
Four Mandelbrot sets nested by using the next Mandelbrot set as the escape test, coloured according to each Mandelbrot calculation's iteration count and final z coordinate. Each nesting level is rotated by the same incremental angle, resulting in many spirals.
2009 - Colour laser print of an artifact of computation.
Zoetrope strip, work in progress.
This series of zoetrope strips (only one is shown here) shows another of Eadweard Muybridge's horse and rider galloping past Tibetan prayer flags which flow in the level sets of morphing Julia set projections.
- Black Combs
2007 - 20"x13.5" Chromira print of some artifacts of computation.
These three images were rendered in UltraFractal using a custom formula. The lines traversing the image are a result of the escape test fractal's edge extending inside the traditional escape test, the circle of radius 2 centred at (0+0i).
2002 - 24"x30" Durst Lambda B&W print of photomosaic from B&W 35mm negatives.
Project completed in 1 week.
- Video Compilation
- improvised dance video recorded with a
[MPEG-PS file: MPEG1 video, MPEG2 audio]
- UltraFractal animated fractal loops:
[AVI files: cvid video, no audio]
- Welcome back - monochrome animated loop.
[Animated GIF file]
- Four - improvised dance video recorded with a PXL2000.